Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting WiFi working on Dell Studio 1535 with Broadcom 4312 Chipset after upgrade from Unbuntu 11.04 to 11.10

I just upgraded my operating system from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, and as usual it didn't completely work. The Wifi was once again quiet. This makes it very hard to then get to the internet and fix things without having a second computer.

The 'Addition Drivers' app from the idiot Unity Interface presented me with the Broadcome STA drivers I had been using, but the install button only resulted in an error.

A search on a second computer found the following site:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748245&page=3

which recommended removing "bcmwl-kernel-source" by using Synaptic Package Manager, then installing "firmware-b43-installer”.

The firmware installer required an internet connection to fetch – the Ubuntu Wifi Catch-22.

Using a second computer I located

firmware-b43-installer_014-9_all.deb

and downloaded it to a USB stick and then installed that on the Dell Studio.

I could then follow the instructions to remove and install as above.

Rebooting computer got nothing – but I could go to the Additional drivers app and see the same old Broadcom STA drivers, and this time I was able to turn them on.

The 'turn on' was amazingly slow. A thrill to have to wait and wonder – will it work this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment